What is Occupational Therapy?
Occupational Therapy is concerned with enhancing an individual’s ability to participate in everyday activities by modifying their tasks and environment and by teaching skills to better support participation. Occupational Therapists work with individuals of all ages to enhance the skills necessary to function in their daily lives.
Occupational Therapists can provide treatment programmes for people who have difficulties with:
- Daily living tasks (toileting, eating, grooming, personal care, special equipment)
- Achieving developmental milestones
- Gross motor skills (balance, ball skills, running, jumping)
- Fine motor skills (using pencils and scissors, doing up buttons, zips, shoe laces etc)
- Sensory integration, sensory sensitivity/seeking (sensitivity to sound or touch, movement seeking behaviours, difficulties sitting still)
- Thinking, planning, coordination and problem solving
- Handwriting (pencil grip, letter formation, speed and organisation)
- Switch activated toys, environmental control units, computer access.
- School readiness
- Behaviour and attention regulation
Occupational Therapists work with:
- Children and adults who have an Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Children and adults with developmental and/or intellectual delays or disorders
- Children and adults with physical disabilities
- Children who have difficulties with attention and behavior
- Children who have a history or trauma or who are placed in out of home care
- Children with Dyslexia or Dysgraphia
- Children who have difficulties with motor skill development
- Children and adults who have difficulties with handwriting
- Teachers to implement classroom strategies
- Children who are having difficulties with social skills
- School readiness
- Much more…
Occupational Therapist specialise in handwriting intervention and assisting children of all ages and skill levels in all areas of handwriting from pencil grip and letter formations to cursive writing and typing.
Has your child’s teacher recommended that your child have a handwriting assessment, or indicated that they are not reaching their age related milestones with handwriting and fine motor tasks? Fear not! All Abilities Occupational Therapy has a staff of Occupational Therapists who work on handwriting skills for people of all ages.